Situated in the far north west of Western Australia, the Kimberley offers a year round tropical climate, breathtaking scenery and an unspoiled coastline. A diverse array of flora and fauna inhabit the land and waters, including birds of every imaginable colour, intriguing marsupials, monster size fish, and of course, the famous crocodile.
Most attractions are at their best from March to September, waterfalls are flowing, gorges are full, flora and fauna are at their abundant best. Ideal conditions apply for walking, exploring and experiencing one of the world’s most remote and tranquil destinations.
The Kimberley is blessed with a rich pioneering and indigenous history, offering visitors the holiday experience of a lifetime. Deep gorges, awe-inspiring water falls, the ideal climate and clear night skies bursting with stars, makes the Kimberley a land to be discovered.
What’s included for your 14 day cruise in the Kimberley with Odyssey Expeditions?
Transfers are provided between your accommodation and Odyssey. Fourteen days on board Odyssey, with all meals provided. Our onboard chef will provide you with freshly prepared, Kimberley style gourmet delights daily. If you have any dietary requirements or are celebrating a special event let us know at the time of booking and we will endeavour to accommodate your requirements. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, a range of soft drinks and snacks are complimentary and are conveniently available at your leisure. In your room, linen is provided so no need to fill up your luggage with extra towels or blankets as we have plenty on board. Hair dryers are in each cabin.
Excursions are carried out daily and are all optional, if you feel like a nature walk to see ancient aboriginal art works or a refreshing swim under a waterfall in a safe, fresh water rock pool then it is entirely up to you. If your energy levels are low on the day then perhaps a bit of bird watching or just taking in the amazing scenery that the Kimberley provides is enough for the day.
Our crew are experienced and will inform you with their knowledge of the Kimberley and guide you safely on all excursions. They will also let you know what fitness level is required for each excursion undertaken; most walks only require a low to moderate fitness level. Our easy access, exploration tender (Homer) is usually the one who will take us to visit places such as;
- The spectacular Horizontal Falls
- Montgomery Reef, featuring the marine life of Turtle Gully
- Prince Regent River, including the beautiful King Cascade, Cathedral Falls and Camp Creek
- Historic Camden Harbour settlement and Kuri Bay
- Raft Point’s breathtaking scenery and aboriginal art gallery
- Sale River gorges and rainforests
- Talbot Bay’s ancient geology at Cyclone Creek
- Crocodile Creek’s fresh water creeks and swimming hole
- Magnificent Hunter and Roe rivers
- Silicon Beach, nestled within the 800 islands of the Buccaneer Archipelago.
- King George Falls ( Twin Falls)
- Berkley River with some spectacular Barramundi fishing
- Mitchell River with spectacular scenery and swimming holes
- Bigge Island which has magnificent aboriginal art
- Vansittart Bay where the DC3 plane crash landed
There is an abundance of fish in the waters of the Kimberley ranging from pelagic such as Trevally and Tuna to estuarine fish like Barramundi or Mangrove Jack. MV Odyssey is well equipped Shimano and Penn fishing equipment to help you catch them or if you prefer bring your own favourite rod and tackle. Our experienced crew will take you out to our known fishing spots in one of our 3 excursion tenders equipped with fishing gear and tackle and help you as much as you require.
Whilst all our guest are invited to fish, Odyssey Expeditions has a catch and eat/release licence, if you catch it our chef will scale it, clean it and make a mouth watering feast of it, but no one can take fish home, just a photo to be a permanent reminder of your catch.
MV Odyssey is equipped with state of the art viewing and surround sound systems. Two large plasma and LCD screens will keep you informed and entertained. Our DVD and CD library offers a large range of music, movies and documentaries for you to choose from.
Our open helm hosts a library of books for you to read ranging from general interest novels and magazines to Kimberley historical facts and publications. There is also a selection of board games that you are welcome borrow at your leisure.
All meals are prepared fresh daily using only fresh produce or your catch of the day. We cater for all dietary requirements, when booking please note down any allergies or food requirements so chef can be well prepared.
Breakfast consists of a healthy selection of cereals, homemade breads, fresh fruits and yogurt; every other day chef will prepare bacon, sausages, eggs and baked beans for those who prefer a more wholesome start to the day.
Lunch is served buffet style with a selection of delicious salads, hot or cold meats and freshly baked breads.
Dinner is also served buffet style and may consist of anything from your catch of the day to fall of the bone lamb shanks or prime rib steak cooked to your liking. Finish that off with delicious desserts like sticky date pudding with vanilla bean ice cream.
Morning and afternoon tea is also provided and usually ready for guests returning from morning and afternoon excursion. Delicious cakes or savoury dishes such as chicken pate with red onion marmalade are all freshly prepared by chef.
Snacks are available throughout the day. Guest are welcome to help themselves to the bottomless bickie tin located in the dining area that is always full of chefs own baked cookies.
Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and a range of soft drinks are complimentary and are conveniently available at your leisure.
A few of our chef’s signature dishes include:
- Freshly caught by you, grilled filleted Spanish Mackerel served with chilli tomato, avocado & lime salsa
- Macadamia and parmesan encrusted oven baked Coral Trout fillets with wasabi mash and Asian greens
- Chicken liver pate with red onion marmalade
- Fall off the bone slow roasted lamb shanks (chef’s own recipe)
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauce and vanilla bean ice-cream.
Drinks / Beverages
All non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary whilst on Odyssey, there is also good selection of beer, wine and spirits available on board. Our vessel is fully licensed and BYO is not available.
MV Odyssey is equipped with a washing machine and dryer. Day 5 of your cruise is washing day all you have to do is place your laundry in the laundry bag provided and our hostess will collect it in the morning and have it returned to you clean by the evening.
First aid / Medical
All the crew of Odyssey hold a current senior first aid certificate and will assist you if a medical emergency should arise. As well as a general first aid kit MV Odyssey is also equipped with a Royal Flying Doctors Service (RFDS) Medical Chest; the chest contains a range of pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical items which enables emergency and non emergency treatment to be given. The consultation and support of the Royal Flying Doctors Service is available to Odyssey 24 hours a day via satellite phone.
What to Bring
Pack simply and lightly for your Adventure with Odyssey, in soft bags please for easy storage. In tropical conditions, shorts and lightweight shirts are the most comfortable and loose, long sleeved shirts and long pants in a natural, lightweight fabric (e.g. cotton) offer protection against the sun. Nights are usually cool & a cool breeze will often accompany us. We dress Kimberley Casual for dinner- definitely not formal and shoes are not normally worn on-board by your choice.
The following packing list may be helpful:
- Camera with plenty of film/spare memory card
- Personal toiletries
- Hard sole shoes that you do not mind getting wet
- Motion sickness preventative
- Any prescription drugs or vitamins
- Insect repellent
- Sunscreen & chap-stick
- Small Backpack (preferably waterproof) suitable to carry camera equipment
- Water bottle
- Binoculars (for bird watching)
- Light summer clothing (typically around 30 degrees during the day and around 18 degrees at night)
- Fishing gear is provided on the vessel, however, keen fisher men & women might want to bring their own lures or they are available for purchase on board Odyssey
Odyssey Expeditions :: Ph – +61 (0) 428 382 505 :: E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org